Bangladesh Association of Librarians, Information Scientists and Documentalists (BALID) has formally presented a concept paper at the Prime Minister’s Office for establishment of a Knowledge Commission of Bangladesh. The paper was prepared in response to a request from Access to Information (A2I) Project of Prime Minister’s Office.
On behalf of BALID the concept paper was jointly presented by BALID Councilor and Librarian of IUB Mr. Hossam Haider Chowdhury and Dr Mostafizur Rahman, Librarian, North South University. The session was moderated by Mr. Anir Chowdhury, Policy Advisor (Access to Information Program), Prime Minister’s Office. The session was graced by the attendance of veteran library and information professionals of the country and high officials of A2I Program. The Library Association of Bangladesh (LAB) was also represented by their acting president, secretary general, and vice-president.
The concept paper was prepared by:
Dr. Mirza Mohd. Rezaul Islam, Chairman, BALID and BIIM, and Librarian, Islamic University of Technology (IUT)
Mr. Muhammad Hossam Haider Chowdhury, Librarian, Independent University, Bangladesh (IUB)
Dr. Md. Mostafizur Rahman, University Librarian, North South University (NSU)
Dr. Md. Nazim Uddin, Senior Manager, ICDDR,B
Mr. M. Moniruzzaman, Knowledge Management Officer, United Nations Information Center (UNIC)
Mr. Shamsuddin Ahmed, Director, BALID Institute of Information Management (BIIM)
It may be mentioned that the A2I officials have decided to form a Library Commission instead of Knowledge Commission.
After presentation, participants gave their own views and comments on the paper and finally a decision was taken to form three task forces on – (i) Community Library, (ii) Digitization, and (iii) Policy Affairs of Library. The conveners of those taskforces are Chairman of BALID, President of LAB and Mr. Anir Chowdhury respectively.
The following members were present in the PM Office meeting:
1. Dr. Mirza Mohd Rezaul Islam, Chairman, BALID and BIIM
2. Ms. Dilara Begum, Acting President, Library Association of Bangladesh (LAB)
3. Mr. Shah Abdul Kabej, BUET Library
4. Md. Moniruzzaman, United Nations Information Centre (UNIC)
5. Mohammad Hossam Haider Chowdhury, Independent University of Bangladesh (IUB)
6. Mr. AKM Mofizur Rahman, Community Development Library(CDL)
7. Dr. Mostafizur Rahman, North South University (NSU)
8. Mr. Shyama Prasad Bepari, Ministry of ICT
9. Dr. Md. Nazim Uddin, icddr,b
10. Md. Farhadul Islam Farid, Secretary General, BALID
11. Dr. M. Mizanur Rahman, Secretary General, Library Association of Bangladesh (LAB)
12. Professor Dr. M. Abdus Sattar, Former President –LAB, Founder Chairman-BALID
13. Md. Yasin Shapan, A2I Programme, PM Office
14. Md. Nahid Alam, A2I Programme, PM Office
15. Mr. Anir Chowdhury, Policy Advisor, A2I Programme, PM Office
View the Full Concept Paper