Managing digital resources is a challenge. In Bangladesh, some libraries are in the race to win the challenge and have gained experience with it while the majorities are running to catch up the technology. The latter ones have indecision about how to roll the stone, which systems and tools should be used for managing digital resources effectively, what are the standards and best practices, what kinds of challenges are waiting for them, and how to find a solution to win those challenges. The common solution lies in these practical issues and experiences are being shared. The purpose of this Seminar is to inform the participants about the standard practice, challenges, solutions, and planning for the digital resources management carried out by the libraries. The seminar will be a reference point where cross-talk of digital resources management will be widely discussed and will create a common platform of understanding of different burning issues regarding digital preservations.
1. To share the practical knowledge of Digital resource management with the professionals and to provide networking opportunities to those will be attending
2. To provide the participants with an in-depth knowledge of managing library Digital resource and to let fresher and students know about the different Digital resource management system in Bangladesh
3. The conference will work as a bridge between Experts, new professionals and students
4. To let the fresher and students know about the different digital resources management system in Bangladesh
5. To encourage libraries to put into practice Digital resource management system in Bangladesh
1. Library professionals and those who are working in the library
2. Fresh graduates and students of Information Science and Library Management
3. IT Professionals and interested stakeholders of digital resource management
4. Publisher/Information Resource Producer/Book Supplier/IT Farm.
The participants will be
1) aware of existing practice of digital resource management system in Bangladesh
2) competent to gain a better understanding of confidence regarding various aspects of Digital resource management skills in libraries
3) familiar with the library professionals who are experienced in managing Digital resource in respective libraries of Bangladesh
4) able to operate e-resources in the respective libraries and make the library dynamic and efficient
5) capable to take-over a new project to run e-resources activities in their own libraries
Dr. Md. Mostafizur Rahman, University Librarian, North South University, Mr. Md. Hossam Haider Chowdhury, Librarian, Independent University, Bangladesh, and Mr. AIM Jakaria Rahman, Researcher, Center for Research and Development Monitoring (ECOOM), University of Antwerp, Belgium will present the keynote paper.
Invited libraries will share their experiences in the technical sessions. The libraries discussion will include the vital issues for digital library management, for example,
1. Key concepts of the digital library, Hybrid library, and Institutional repository
2. Organization of digital libraries (personnel, finances, resources, leadership)
3. Digitization, archiving, and preservation
4. Information infrastructure and access (including licensing, copyright and privacy issues)
5. Open access and open source software DSpace, SLiMS, KOHA, Greenstone, etc
6. Proprietary and indigenous software
7. Licensing and negotiations of electronic resources
8. Consortium e-resources subscription and its management
9. Monitoring and evaluation of e-resources
10. Remote access to e-resources
11. Training on digital resources management, etc.
a) Institutional participant – taka 1000 (One thousand) only
b) BALID member – taka 400 (four hundred) only
c) Non BALID member - taka 500 (five hundred) only
d) ISLM Students* (DU & RU regular batch) – taka 200 (two hundred) only
e) Publisher/Information Resource Producer/Book Supplier/IT Farm - BDT 5000 (Five thousand) or USD 65 (sixty five only)
- Seminar Kit
- Participation Certificate and etc.
Mode of payment:
a) Cheque/Pay order in favour of Bangladesh Gronthagarik o Tothayonbid Somity (BALID)
b) Bkash to mobile no: 01732966482 (Bkash charge taka ten is applicable)
c) Pay in Cash to the Director, CDL or Director, BIIM
d) Deposit at Account name: BALID, Current A/C no. 02333001221 of Bank Asia Ltd.
Online Registration: Participants will be able to register online to participate in the seminar. The registration form is availble here. Please complete your payement procedure along with Registration.
Last date of registration: Thursday 30 July 2015 (Revised Schedule)
Venue: CIRDAP International Conference Centre (CICC), Chameli House, 17, Topkhana Road (beside Press Club), Dhaka-1000.
Publication: BALID will compile all the papers and presentations, and publish the seminar proceedings, and an eBook. The proceedings book will be hosted on the BALID web site (www.balig.org) since the day of the Seminar.
Dr. Md. Nazim Uddin
Convener, Seminar Committee, and
Senior Manager, LISS
Phone: 9827001-10/Ext 3530
Mr. Sasanka Kumar Singha
Member Secretary, Seminar Committee, and
Deputy Director, Bangladesh Bank Library
Mr. Md. Shamsuddin Ahmed
Phone: 01732966482, and 02-7121773
Dr. Mirza Mohd Rezaul Islam
Chairman, BALID & BIIM, and
Islamic University of Technology